On Conversations with God.

"Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving, let your request be made known to God. And the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus." (Philippians 4:6-7)





Since the start of 2018, Ike and I have been reading through the Bible using the Read Scripture app produced by The Bible Project. It has been a tremendous tool for us in studying scripture!


Right now, we are in the midst of 1 and 2 Samuel, reading about the heroic times of Samuel, Saul, Jonathon, and David. One things that has struck me over and over is David's consistency in turning to God before making decisions. Even times when it could have been argued a "no-brainer" that he would take action, he still first asked God what he should do.
.


"They told David, 'Behold, the Philistines are fighting against Keilah and are robbing the threshing floors.' Therefore David inquired of the Lord, 'Shall I go and attack these Philistines?' and the Lord said to David, 'Go and attack the Philistines and save Keilah." (1 Sam 23:1-2)
.


When David's wives and children are captured by the Amalekites: "And David inquired of the Lord, 'Shall I pursue after this band? Shall I overtake them?" He answered him, 'Pursue, for you shall overtake and shall surely rescue." (1 Sam 30:8)
.


"After this David inquired of the Lord, 'Shall I go up into any of the cities of Judah?' And the Lord said unto him, 'Go up.' David said, 'To which shall I go up?' And He said, 'To Hebron." (2 Sam 2:1)
.


David is well known to be the man after God's heart - and I am seeing his secret. He was so close to God because of his conversational seeking of God. God was his first turn in each decision, and he yearned for God's presence. He recognized that when God was with him, life would happen in a place of peace and victory.
.


Philippians 4:6-7 came to my mind this morning, challenging me in that same aspect of conversational communion with God as I go about my day.
.


do not be anxious about anything,
but in everything
by prayer and supplication
with thanksgiving,
let your requests be made known to God.
And the peace of God,
which surpasses all understanding,
will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.




Jesus, thank you for this person! Help me to love this person through this conversation.
.
Jesus, help me to have eyes to see the good in this person's life and inspire me now to encourage them and speak blessing over them.
.
Jesus, thank you for this opportunity to go to school and learn! How should I go about studying this information today? Help me to focus and absorb it so that I can be equipped to serve others more competently.  
.
"That in order to form a habit of conversing with God continually, and referring all we do to Him, we must at first apply to Him with some diligence; but that after a little care we should find His love inwardly excite us to it without any difficulty." (Brother Lawrence)






Comments

Popular Posts