Currently Reading: I Wasn't Strong Like This When I Started Out

"I'm often asked, 'Isn't nursing depressing?' I have experienced real depression in my life, but not because of my profession. Nursing is the opposite of despair; it offers the opportunity to do something about suffering. But you have to be strong to be a nurse. You need strong muscles and stamina for the long shifts and heavy lifting, intelligence and discipline to acquire knowledge and exercise critical thinking. As for emotional fortitude - well, I'm still working on that. Most of all, you need moral courage because nursing is about the pursuit of justice. It requires you to stand up to bullies, to do things that are right but difficult, and to speak your mind even when you are afraid. I wasn't strong like this when I started out. Nursing made me strong." (pg 148) 


Last night was my first night off after a string of nights at the hospital. It was 2:30am when I finally gave up on sleep, turned my reading light on and opened this book. I lost myself in the stories of nurses from all different types of nursing, levels of experience, and personalities.  I found myself in tears a few times as I related to their heartbreaks, fears, and joys. I was filled with inspiration and affirmation for this field I am in - which feels like essential oxygen to my soul right now. Right now is a scary time to be a new nurse.  This book of inspirational stories from nurses around the world was just what I needed :)


Comments

Popular Posts